France remains a wonderful country for its gastronomy, its culinary techniques and its production of foodstuffs: meat, fish, seafood, dairy products (fresh and refined cheeses …), vegetable oils (olive, rapeseed, walnuts …) butter, cereals, fruits and proteolytic seeds such as hazelnuts, almonds, walnuts … but also fruits and vegetables, legumes.
Taste education remains a tradition in France, despite the “junk food” which tries to walk on its field slowly but surely, but the roots and values of a “good table” as French say are still and will always be part of the culture. I would even say that it comes back even stronger than before, everything is cyclical, as MacDonald’s®, Burger King®, Quick®, KFC® and other fast-food restaurants or fast sandwich shops grow like mushrooms, the majority of the French population shows a growing, healthy and positive resistance. Confronting to negative, it stays positive and tries to consume differently and also to be actors of their consuming “.
At the same time, markets for local producers are more and more popular, the agro-food industries are gradually shrinking their market share, and the return to short circuits directly from producers to consumers is a sign of some form of lucidity and clairvoyance. The question of seasonal fruits and vegetables is thus back to actuality in order to privilege first of all the rhythm of nature and not all year round importation of products coming from the four corners of the world. By following our traditional French mode of feeding close to producers, we boost the local economy in the same way and we maintain French production techniques and know-how. Thus, I enlighten you and orient you towards the consumption of fruits and vegetables that are produced in France according to the 4 seasons.
Below weill be found an article to be printed and to keep home summarizing what fruits and vegetables can be found according to its season.
Spring fruits and vegetables
- Eggplant, beet, carrot, celery, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, cucumber, courgette ( zukinis) , endive, spinach, curly, fennel, lettuce, turnip, onion, peas, potato, leek, radish
- Cherry, lemon, strawberry, raspberry, kiwi, orange, grapefruit, apple, pear, rhubarb
Summer Fruits and vegetables
- Garlic, artichoke, asparagus, aubergine ( eggplants ) , beetroot, carrot, celery, cabbage, cauliflower, cucumber, courgette ( zucchinis ), spinach, fennel, bean, lettuce, corn, turnip, onion, leek peas pepper apple of radish with tomato
- Apricot, blackcurrant, cherry, fig, strawberry, raspberry, currant, melon, mirabelle, blueberry, nectarine, watermelon, peach, apple, plum, prune
Autumn / fall fruits and vegetables
- Cucumber, squash, courgettes ( zucchinis ), endive, spinach, fennel, curly, bean, lettuce, lamb’s lettuce, corn, eggplant, turnip, onion, leek, bell pepper, potato, radish, tomato
- Quince, kiwi, tangerine, melon, blackberry, blueberry, orange, grapefruit, watermelon, peach, pear, apple, plum, prune, grape
Winter fruits and vegetables
- Garlic, beetroot, carrot, celery, Brussels sprouts, squash, endive, spinach, curled, mash, turnip, onion, leek, pumpkin, potato
- Lemon, kiwi, tangerine, orange, grapefruit, pear, apple
As a conclusion about seasonal fruits and vegetables
Seasonal fruits and vegetables are organoleptic, visual, but also gustatory (taste, acidity, bitterness, sweetness, salty), fragrant (aromas), textural (smooth, grainy, tender, cracking …) which combine Pleasure and Health! “Eating colorful AND natural” improves your physical, physiological and mental “Grounds”. And as it is good for the body and for the Spirit, your well-being and comfort of life are thus improved!
|PRINTER LIST OF SEASONAL FRUITS AND VEGETABLES|
Wishing you good appetite!
Sports Dietitian Nutritionist