The sports drink is the main form of energy intake for the athlete. It is a complete and essential base for the supply of water, energy, vitamins, minerals … It can be supplemented if necessary with energy bar as well as energy gel in second intention (see house energy gel). This main contribution is favored in endurance sports such as marathon, trail, triathlon, cycling … but also during your training in bodybuilding, crossfit, football, rugby, tennis …
Note: the recipe of the drink of the effort home is very simple to realize and very economical in addition, it is composed of coconut water, maltodextrin and honey.
Ingredients for a home made sports drink by Nicolas Aubineau (500 ml – 16.9 fl oz)
- 150 mL (5 fl oz) of fresh coconut water
- 20 g (0.70 oz) of pure maltodextrin powder
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 0.5 g (0.0176 oz) of magnesium citrate powder
- 2 drops of lemon essential oil
- +/- 1 tablespoon of turmeric
- 2 pinches of salt flower (+/- 0.5g – 0.0176 oz)
Complete with tap water, spring or mineral to get a can of 500ml (16.9 fl oz)
Price of a home made sports drink Nicolas Aubineau
1 drink of 500 ml (16.9 fl oz) : ±0,80€ or $0.95 or £0.71
Average food information
|Average analysis (1)||For 500 mf (16.9 fl,oz)||%NRV (3)|
|inlcuding sugar (g)||12.5|
|Vitamin C (mg)||9.3||12%|
|Vitamin B1 (mg)||0.1||4%|
|Vitamin B2 (mg)||0.1||7%|
|Vitamin B3 (mg)||0.1||1%|
|Vitamin B5 (mg)||0.1||1%|
|Vitamin B6 (mg)||0.1||4%|
|Vitamin B9 (µg)||4.7||2%|
(1) Ciqual 2016 for a fresh water base of coco + maltodextrine + honey + magnesium citrate + fleur de sel
(2) 1 house sports drink = 500 ml (16.9 fl oz)
(3) Nutritional Reference Values calculated for a home sports drink
Preparation of the home made sports drink Nicolas Aubineau
Nothing could be more simple quicker! Mix all the ingredients together. until the beverage is homogeneous. Pour into a rigid container for transport during the effort to come: vial, flask, flexible flask … The homemade sports drink can be stored for several days in a cool place.
- The amount of salt to be supplied to the body (especially sodium, potassium, magnesium, etc.) can be increased depending on the needs related to the effort (especially if the climatic conditions are hot and the effort is long lasting). This will have to be done mainly with the increase of the liquid quantity to be ingested and in fine of the nutritional elements present in the drink. The base remains 500ml / hour of effort, an optimal 750 ml in neutral conditions neither too hot or too cold .
- Turmeric is interesting for its antioxidant role (prevention of oxidative stress linked to stress).
- Essential oils make it possible to perfume the home sports drink to facilitate the taking by optimizing the intake of pleasure in the ingestion!
- Citrates are interesting for their alkalizing effect by buffering the excess acidity generated by the effort to optimize the acid-base balance. You will find this in specialized stores.
- The fresh water of coconut is interesting for its intakes of potassium (208 mg / 100 ml), sodium (65.5 mg / 100 ml) and magnesium (15.5 mg / 100 ml). This makes it possible to vary its ratio at the level of the drink when it is desired to revise upwards or downwards the contributions of these 3 essential minerals to the sportsman.
- The contribution of maltodextrins is interesting for both the energy intake in carbohydrate form and to minimize the osmolality of the beverage in order to make it more digestible (less risk of making a hypertonic drink), contrary to a simple intake of glucose and / or fructose and / or sucrose (called simple carbohydrates). This latter combination would make the beverage more concentrated (with a higher osmolality) and thus would promote a higher risk of functional stress disorders, the most well-known of which are digestive disorders.
Various for the different ingredients
Sweet liquids or semi liquids
Honey, royal jelly, agave, birch, rice, elder, maple syrups … molasses … fruit syrups (raspberry, grapefruit, tangerine, …) …
Sweet or not liquids
Water, herbal tea, infusion (sage, ginger, verbena …), tea (black, green, white …), coffee (black, green), chicory, fruit juice (apple, tangerine, grape …)
Spices, herbs, condiments ( to brought in powder form)
Garlic cinnamon, cardamom, caraway, celery, chervil, chili, five berries, chives, lemongrass, clove, coriander, cumin, curcuma, curry, shallot, tarragon, fennel, fenugreek, ginger, ginseng, laurel, marjoram, mint, mustard, nutmeg, white onion, yellow onion, red onion, oregano, paprika, white onion, parsley, cayenne pepper, white pepper, black pepper, pink pepper, Sichuan pepper, horseradish, Ras el Hanout, rosemary, saffron, savory, sage, sesame, spirulina, thyme …
Essential oils (lemon, thyme, …), vegetable oils (olive, colza, hazelnut, sesame …) Mother tincture for internal use (propolis, thistle, white nettle, black radish …) … magnesium, potassium, calcium BCAA, Maltodextrin … Vitamin D Liquid … Aloe Vera Juice …
- Dosage Essential oils: 2 drops maximum for a 1 liter house sports drink.
- “Mother tincture”: 4 drops maximum for a 1 liter house sports drink.
For more information regarding the products of the same range sports Drink House that are made in trade, you can see my comparison of sports drinks updated year after year.
Sports Dietitian Nutritionist